Pipeline construction is a field of engineering. This field involves lot of complications. The engineers have to keep a lot of things in mind when it comes to pipeline construction. The most important thing is the design of the pipeline. The process involves a lot of steps. Once design is finalized, it is important to choose the right pipes for the right places. For an engineer, it is crucial to know about different types of engineering pipes. In order to get pipeline information, you need to follow the guidance as given in the following section.
The Types of Oil and Gas Pipeline
Different kinds of pipes are there to create a perfect circuit of oil or natural gas transportation. From source, the gas needs to be transported to processing hub. From the processing hub, the gas has to be transported to the refinery. From there, it will go to the reservoir. From reservoir, the gas will further be transported to homes and commercial places.
1. Gathering Pipes
At the first stage, it is important for us to know about gathering pipeline. So, what is gathering pipeline? It has been used for delivering oil or gas to the processing plant from the source. Thus, gas has been collected at unrefined form and then it is channelized through the gas pipeline. For this purpose, you need gathering pipeline. The characteristics of the gathering pipes are discussed in the following section.
- Such pipes are not so long. The maximum length could be around 200 meters.
- The usual diameter of such pipe is less than 18 inches. But, for shale oil production, diameter of the gathering pipe can be found at 20 inches.
- In the USA, there is regulatory body for standardization of the gathering pipes. So, when purchasing the pipe, the stamp of the standardization agency should be checked.
2. Transmission Pipelines
Such pipelines have been used for transporting crude oil or natural gas from place to another. There would not be a single processing unit. You would find the presence of various processing units. As a result, natural gas has to be transmitted to different units for processing. Characteristics of the transmission pipelines have been discussed in the following section.
- These pipes are built to deal with pressure ranging from 200 to 1200 psi.
- These pipes may meet failure due to a few common reasons. These reasons include material failure, corrosion, defective welding, etc.
- The diameter of such pipeline could be up to 42 inches. The minimum diameter is always higher than 10 inches.
3. Distribution Pipelines
In the pipeline publication, you shall also come to know about distribution pipeline. Two types of distribution pipes can be found. They are called as “main” and “service” pipes. These pipes can bear pressure up to 200 psi. Such pipes need lesser maintenance, as they need to bear with low pressure level. Typically, the diameter of such pipes ranges from 2 inches to 24 inches.Knowing these standard rules of choosing the right pipes for pipeline construction is essential for the engineers.